Construction Specialties Georgia is a polyester extrusion facility that specializes in polyester sheet extrusion, compounding, profile extrusion, thermoforming, and large format digital printing.
The Product Development Engineer is expected to design and execute prototype, research, test, and trial tasks in alignment with strategic R&D directions.
Conducts and engages in innovation, new product development, product testing, and product/process improvement aligned with strategic product development goals. Provides high level consultative leadership to projects.
Goals are cross-functional multi-skilled development, focusing on producing tangible product increments within a short time frame.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions, including but not necessarily limited to the following:
- Drives cross-functional team development (across CS locations when suitable) of New Product Development (NPD) initiatives with a goal of production readiness and commercialization.
- Breaks down complex product ideas into actionable technical tasks. Design these technical tasks with the goal of producing tangible results within a short duration of time.
- Studies and recommends techniques to improve existing products. Performs detailed internal and external tests on a wide range of products and/or product samples. Compiles comprehensive test reports to ensure knowledge is shared among team.
- Conducts research, plans and executes trials. Summarizes research and trials through detailed reports.
- Locates and interfaces with outside vendors of materials and/or processes as required in support of NPD initiatives and completing technical tasks.
- Constructs, tests and fabricates physical prototypes of potential new designs. Produces high quality prototype reports that address this prototype’s material usage, building process, test results, cost information, and sustainability evaluations.
- Performs basic costing activities including return on investment (ROI) calculations.
- Develops, adapts, analyzes and ensures accuracy of drawings, calculations and specifications.
- Provides coaching and guidance to manufacturing operations to solve difficult problem and technical issues as requested.
- Keeps well informed on new developments in the product development field through contact with educational institutions, professional societies, manufacturers and trade shows, perusal of texts, technical papers, journals and periodicals.
- Recommends capital expenditures along with sales and production methods for new products.
- Keeps abreast of new developments, materials or processes for use in adaptations to organization products. Participates in trade association and code regulating bodies on behalf of the company.
- Actively participates in all learning opportunities with the goal to further build cross-functionality and self-sufficiency within the development team.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by management.
- B.S. Degree (M.S. preferred) in Engineering or related field and three to five years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must have extensive knowledge within the field of engineering specific to product development (i.e. mechanical: fluid dynamics, thermal dynamics, static force analysis, dynamic force analysis, and other mechanical property related topics). Stays abreast within engineering field.
- Must be a self-starter, with demonstrated autonomy, able to handle unexpected events and take advantage of opportunities to achieve results that consistently exceed expectations
- Must perform as a flexible team member and be a proficient leader and developer of people
- Must be able to work successfully and lead in team efforts - experience in cross functional team leadership and/or participation.
- Must be able to communicate with employees at all levels in the organization, customers of all background, and technical partners from different industries.
- Effective use of time and resources to accomplish product development objectives.
- Proficient in MS Office and other applicable drawing/design software related to specific Engineering field.
- Knowledge and experience in 3D modeling simulation software is desired.
- Knowledge of construction and fabrication methods.
- Must have strong knowledge in the scientific method.
- Understanding of Lean manufacturing, Agile methodology, and basic financial accounting knowledge is preferred.
- Ability to travel to job sites (domestically and internationally, if required) for new product evaluation or to review existing product issues.
Sorry the Share function is not working properly at this moment. Please refresh the page and try again later.
Share on your newsfeed